Online Insurance Degree Programs

Online insurance degree programs teach students how to analyze statistical data, look at potential insurance policies, and estimate the probability that clients will need to pay out on that policy. Oftentimes these programs work in conjunction with risk management programs. Those who enroll in these programs should be organized, detail-oriented, analytical, work well with others, and be able to solve complex issues. Insurance degree programs are available at the associate, baccalaureate, and master’s levels; some schools offer a diploma or certificate program in insurance, but these tend to focus on billing and coding within the medical industry.

Those who graduate with a degree in insurance may find employment in the insurance industry, whether it is dealing directly with policies, or marketing and sales. Programs may provide students with the skills and discipline needed to pursue a career as an insurance claims processor, auditor, risk manager, underwriter, and claims adjuster.

Available Degree Levels

  • Career Diploma: Varies
  • Certificate: One to two years to complete
  • Associate Degree: Two years to complete
  • Bachelor’s Degree: Four years to complete
  • Master’s Degree: One to two years to complete

Although there are online diploma programs available in insurance, most of them pertain to insurance billing and coding principles. These programs teach students how to bill patients for services and submit claims to insurance companies. Courses may cover procedure coding, keyboarding, pathophysiology, and health information management.

Online certificate insurance programs may cover a mix of insurance-based topics, including personal, property and liability, and commercial. Certain programs may also provide students with the opportunity to qualify for certification as an Associate in General Insurance designation (AINS) from the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters.

Similar to the diploma option, associate-level programs in insurance tend to lean more toward insurance billing and coding. Students learn how to create clerical documents, become versed in medical terminology, administer proper billing and reimbursement procedures, and apply given medical codes within computer programs.

Students enrolled in online baccalaureate programs in insurance may learn basic principles for managing economic risk, and they may gain the skills needed to advance within the insurance, risk management, and estate management industries. They oftentimes gain critical thinking skills and learn about the basic principles for managing economic risks, estate management, and insurance. The core curriculum may combine business, risk management, and insurance classes, including life and health insurance, risk management, commercial property risk management, management information systems, and statistics.

Master’s-level programs in insurance may bolster students’ knowledge about the insurance industry through training in accounting, finance, and leadership. Students enrolled in these programs may gain more managerial skills while they obtain in-depth, hands-on training. They may complete courses covering employee benefit plans, business ethics, economic conditions, and financial planning.

Career Options

Graduates of online insurance degree programs may find employment in a variety of areas. About 25 percent of those who work in the insurance industry work in the sales and marketing field, while the other 75 percent have jobs in the managerial, professional, or technical aspects of insurance. Students may gain hands-on experience through internships or co-ops, which they may be able to obtain through their online program. Examples of possible career opportunities may include:

  • Underwriter
  • Risk Manager
  • Claims Adjuster
  • Auditor
  • Insurance Claims Processor

*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook

Recommended Schools

Matching School Ads

Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*


  • BSFIN - Insurance

Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.


  • Master of Business Aministration

Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.


  • MBA - General