Online Master’s Degrees in Homeland Security
Graduates may either seek entry to upper-level employment or continue their education and enroll in a doctoral degree program. Master’s-level graduates may find employment opportunities in numerous industries, such as law enforcement, crisis management, and information security.
- Prerequisite: Bachelor’s Degree
- Program Length: One to two years to complete
- Post-Grad Options: Employment or Doctoral Program
- Projected Employment Growth: 7% (2010-2020)*
The curriculum within an online master’s degree program in homeland security may include major-specific courses as well as allow students to choose a special area of concentration. Those specialty areas may include public health, geospatial intelligence, policy and organization, food defense, agricultural biosecurity, and information security. Core online homeland security courses may include the following:
- Social and Ethical Issues in Homeland Security
- Violence, Threats, and Terror
- Homeland Security and Defense
- Strategic Planning and Organizational Imperatives
- Border Security
- Critical Infrastructure and Cyber Security
- National Security and Intelligence
Graduates of online master’s-level programs in homeland security may find career opportunities in law enforcement, information security, crisis management, and emergency management. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for those pursuing careers as police officers and detectives are expected to increase by 7% from 2010-2020.*
Possible careers include:
- Border Patrol Agent
- Homeland Security Coordinator
- Immigration Enforcement Agent
- Prevention and Response Specialist
- Police and Detectives
Graduates of online master’s degree programs in homeland security may pursue higher education and enroll in a doctoral degree program in homeland security. These doctoral programs may work best for upper-level managers in areas pertaining to national security, and theses research-heavy programs may cover management and leadership theory as well as organization innovation.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Law
- MS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Arts in Homeland Security
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Public Administration in Emergency Management and Homeland Security