Online Master’s Degrees in Social Work
Upon completion of the program, students may either seek employment or enroll in a doctoral degree program. Master’s level graduates may find employment in community wellness programs, schools, hospitals, mental health facilities, and in elder care programs.
- Prerequisite: Bachelor’s Degree
- Program Length: One to two years to complete
- Post-Grad Options: Employment or Doctoral Program
- Projected Employment Growth: 25% (2010-2020)*
The curriculum for social work master’s degree programs may include core coursework alongside electives within the student’s chosen specialty. These classes may teach students how to understand mental health policies, assess individuals to determine their needs, and create empathetic relationships with individuals. Core coursework may include the following:
- Social Welfare Policy
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Introduction to Clinical Social Work
- Communities and Organizations
- Cognitive and Behavioral Treatment
- Mental Health and Social Work Policy
- Social Work Ethics
Master’s level graduates may seek career opportunities in hospitals, schools, mental health facilities, nursing homes, and government agencies. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in social work are projected to increase by 25% from 2010-2020.*
Possible careers include:
- Clinical Social Worker
- Child and Family Social Worker
- School Social Worker
- Mental Health Social Worker
- Palliative Care Social Worker
Those who successfully complete a master’s degree may have the opportunity to further their studies by enrolling in a doctoral degree program. A doctoral degree in social work may enhance the student’s critical thinking skills and integrate knowledge with research-based experience.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MSHUS- Organizational and Social Services
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- MS in Human Services
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...