Online Master’s Degrees in Elementary Education
After completing the program, students may either seek entry to upper-level employment or further their education by enrolling in a doctoral degree program in the same or related field. Master’s degree graduates may be eligible to work in public schools, private schools, district education offices, state-level education departments, and charter school systems.
- Prerequisite: Bachelor’s Degree
- Program Length: One to two years to complete
- Post-Grad Options: Employment or Doctoral Program
- Projected Employment Growth: 10% (2010-2020)*
The curriculum for these programs may include major-specific elementary education coursework. Elementary education courses may teach students how to perform diagnostic methods to identify a child’s literacy level, teach an elementary class using advanced methods, and create a productive learning environment. Core elementary education courses may include the following:
- Foundations of Teaching
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Elementary Reading and Literacy Methods
- Application of Elementary Mathematics Methods
- Issues in Educational Research
- Language Arts Instruction and Intervention
- Elementary Science Methods
Master’s-level graduates may obtain employment in public schools, charter schools, private schools, district central educational offices, and in state education programs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities are projected to increase by 15% from 2010-2020.*
Possible careers include:
- Elementary School Principal
- Kindergarten Teacher
- Reading Diagnostician
- Elementary School Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
Graduates may have the opportunity to continue their education by enrolling in a doctoral degree program. A doctoral program in elementary education may provide students with enhanced training on teacher development and student learning. Students may also be required to conduct scholarly research on the advancement of educational methods. Select employers may require students to hold a master’s degree for placement in upper-level elementary education positions.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology