Online Master’s Degrees in Early Childhood Education
Graduates may either pursue entry to upper-level employment or further their education by enrolling in a doctoral degree program in the same or similar field. Master’s level graduates may explore career opportunities in public schools, child care centers, pre-schools, district education departments, and charter school districts.
- Prerequisite: Bachelor’s Degree
- Program Length: One to two years to complete
- Post-Grad Options: Employment or Doctoral Program
- Projected Employment Growth: 25% (2010-2020)*
The curriculum for master’s-level degree programs in early childhood education may combine specialized coursework with select education electives. These courses may teach students how to provide care and education for special-needs children, advance child literacy, and effectively manage a classroom. Core early childhood education courses may include the following:
- Child Psychology
- The Early Childhood Development Environment
- Children, Families, and Society
- Classroom Management Strategies
- Early Intervention
- Curricular Foundations in Early Childhood Development
- Language Development in Children
Master’s-level graduates may explore career options in child care centers, Montessori schools, public school districts, private schools, and government education programs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities are projected to increase by 25% from 2010-2020.*
Possible careers include:
- Child Development Center Director
- Elementary School Principal
- Curriculum Instructor
- Pre-School Teacher
- Pre-School Administrator
Students who successfully complete a master’s degree program may have the opportunity to further pursue their education by enrolling in a doctoral program. A doctoral degree program may teach students the fundamentals of the development process, current issues in childhood education, and how to lead and supervise early childhood programs. Employers may require individuals to hold a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree for employment in early childhood education.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - Program Specialist in Early Childhood Specialist
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology