Online Master’s Degrees in Adult Education
Upon successful completion of the program, students may either seek upper-level employment or further their education by enrolling in a doctoral degree program. Master’s-level graduates may gain employment in human resources, adult literacy programs, corporate training, distance education, and community education.
- Prerequisite: Bachelor’s Degree
- Program Length: One to two years to complete
- Post-Grad Options: Upper-Level Employment or Doctoral Program
- Projected Employment Growth: 15% (2010-2020)*
The curriculum for master’s-level adult education degree programs may include both core special education classes and specialized electives in the student’s chosen area of study. These courses may teach students how to design learning programs geared towards adult students, implement specific adult education models and theories, and teach adults how to communicate and think critically. Core adult education classes may include the following:
- Adult Education
- Processes and Methods
- Adult Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design
- Teaching and Learning at a Distance
- Multicultural and Special Populations
- Introduction to Research Methods
Master’s-level graduates may explore opportunities at universities, vocational schools, general equivalency diploma programs, foreign-language programs, and community centers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in adult education are projected to increase by 15% from 2010-2020.*
Possible careers include:
- Adult Literacy Instructor
- English as a Second Language Teacher
- Corporate Trainer
- General Equivalency Diploma Instructor
- Post Secondary Instructor
Students who successfully complete a master’s degree program may have the opportunity to further their studies by enrolling in a doctoral degree program. A doctoral degree in adult education may provide students with advanced professional training in adult education leadership and theory development.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- And more...